Augmented Reality or AR is a new advancement in technology that allows you to superimpose a virtual image on the real-world view of the user. It is a technology that works on the interaction between the actual and virtual environment. The main aim of AR devices is to deliver virtual data into the physical world. They can recognize physical objects and give layered visualizations of related data over it.
If you have played the famous game Pokemon Go, you have experienced this technology already. Another good example is that of Google Lens. When you point your camera on some object, and when Google Lens tells you what the object is, it is AR at work.
Types of Augmented Reality Applications
The following are some of the main areas of application of this technology.
- Education – Today’s kids are lucky to get such tools to aid their learning. When we were young, we had to depend a lot on our imagination to understand things we have never seen. Today with the help of AR, students can actually see and experience things. The best example is Google Sky Map, which goes a long way in making the study of astronomy more entertaining.
- Sports – If you have viewed live telecast of cricket matches in recent times, you must be aware of the ball-tracking technology. You can see the estimated ball path projected on the pitch. This one is just an example of AR in sports.
- Healthcare –AR has already reached advanced levels in the medical field. It is even used in surgical procedures. One good example of AR App Development in the medical field is the Anatomy 4D, an AR app from DAQRI. It is a handy educational tool for medical students.
- Landscaping – It is an area where AR can do wonders. If you are planning to build a garden and want to see how it will look, AR can easily help you.
- Maps – If you can see the map of a place with all the relevant information on top of it, it will be a very useful feature.
- Tourism – It will be awesome if you are visiting a historical place and your AR device is showing you all the relevant information about what you are seeing. Museums can use AR to give interesting information about the artifacts on display.
- E-Commerce – The best example of the usage of AR in e-commerce is the Ikea Catalog App. This app can superimpose the furniture you are planning to purchase in your room and tell you exactly how it is going to fit.
- Dating – You must be awestruck to know that even dating Apps like Tinder are making use of AR technology.
Top Augmented Reality Development Tools
Here we are introducing to you some of the most popular tools used for developing AR apps.
- vuforia – It is the most popular augmented reality SDK (Software Development Kit). It can recognize objects, images and texts and create 3d maps of any real environment. This tool helps to convert still images into a video. It is supported on Windows, Android and iOS.
- ARToolkit – It is an open-source kit for AR app development. It’s one of the best tools you can get for free in this category. It supports Unity augmented reality and can be integrated with your smartphone camera, GPS, smart glasses, etc.
- Google ARCore – This Google product works with several programming languages and avails motion tracking and light sensing. What’s even better – it is a free product.
- Apple ARKit – This is Apple’s own product, and it has a list of useful features like face tracking, light estimation, detection of planes & 2D objects, etc. It is also free and is compatible with most of the Apple devices.